With 2010 coming to a close, many of us are thinking ahead! And while the list of movies I want to see in 2011 is no where near being comprehensive, the list below are 11 movies I am excited to see in the new year!
Who knew Gwyneth Paltrow had a singing voice? Country Strong looks to put Paltrow back in the spotlight after a self-induced hiatus. This girl loves her some drama, particularly when it involves a washed up has-been redeeming his or herself (a la Robert Downey Jr...LOVE HIM!). It will also be interesting to see how Leighton Meester does in a more serious role which has her singing songs about things other than boys making her good girl self go bad. We'll see if Country Strong is like a good country song of the Johnny Cash/Patsy Cline sort that will stand the test of time or if it is more akin the twangy types of country music that I cannot stand!
2. Red Riding Hood (March 11)
Okay, so I am really excited about this movie because it takes a classic children's tale and adds a dark twist. Amanda Seyfried plays Valerie, the woman in the red riding hood. The cast also includes other big names like Gary Oldman and Julie Christie. If the story and acting is half as stunning as the cinematography appears to be, this movie is sure to be one of 2011's best.
3. Beastly (March 18)
Beastly was originally set to be released last summer, but due to other circumstances, is now being released this March. Like Red Riding Hood, Beastly adds a twist to the classic tale as old as time! However, unlike Red Riding Hood which is set in medieval times and generally seems dark in tone, Beastly is geared toward the teeny boppers. Although I am not a Vanessa Hudgens fan by any means, rest of this film's cast is exciting and interesting: newcomer Alex Pettyfer as the Beast's equivalent, Neil Patrick Harris (NPH!), and Mary-Kate Olsen who puts the spell on Pettyfer turning him into his beastly self. I am really hoping this movie does not disappoint!
4. Crazy, Stupid, Love (April 22)
Haven't heard a lot about this film but I do know one of my favorite actresses of the moment, Emma Stone, plays Ryan Gosling's love interest. Steve Carrell also stars in this film and he is always an interest actor when it comes to dramatic roles like those in Little Miss Sunshine and Dan in Real Life.
(no trailer available)
5. Water for Elephants (April 22)
Water for Elephants is based on the best-selling novel that chronicles the life of a young man who abandons his college studies to join a travelling circus. Starring Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson, this film promises to show them both in roles that their respective audiences are not accustomed to. The cinematography looks beautiful, as do the film's stars. I better get started on reading that novel...
6. Green Lantern (June 17)
Ryan Reynolds in anything and I am there! What's better is that he will be in a skin-tight green suit...ohhh, yeah! But in all seriousness, I tend to enjoy the superhero action films and this is one of those! Something about good versus evil and good prevailing always gets me excited! Green Lantern is certain to be a summer blockbuster if not THE summer blockbuster of 2011.
7. The Smurfs (August 3)
NPH makes the list again! Like any good animated film nowadays, this movie just looks funny and entertaining for all ages. Plus, the kid in me who used to watch the TV cartoon is curious as to what this newest reincarnation of the beloved blue creatures will entail. I tend to put faith into any NPH project, but rest of the cast is pretty stellar as well: Hank Azaria, BJ Novak, Fred Armisen, Sofia Vergara, Anton Yelchin and so many more! After all, all the world loves the Smurfs!
8. Footloose (October 14)
Change of director and three Rens later, the film-adaptation of the musical Footloose will finally be here! I am a fan of the musical genre of old, and while the movie industry is trying to revive the movie musical, I still remain skeptical. Will Footloose be a bad adaptation of a movie turned musical or will it be a hit with fans and critics alike akin to 2007's Hairspray? Much like Hairspray's Nikki Blonski, Footloose will put Kenny Wormald, a relative unknown, in the lead role. Let's hope for a success for the sake of the movie musical!
(no trailer available)
9. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part I (November 18)
Admittedly, this movie will probably boast overly dramatic and painfully awful acting. The past three movies in the series have done so. HOWEVER, I love the books despite how awful they are, both in their writing and in their message. Plus, what girl doesn't dream about being fought over by Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner? Well, okay, some of you might not, but I don't think it would be a bad situation! Really what I am most excited for? I am excited to see the highly anticipated sex-scene between Bella and Edward because it can only be awkward and I am interested to see how they pull off the whole half-vampire/half-human baby. I don't expect this to be winning any Academy Awards or anything, I just expect it to be a guilty pleasure.
(no trailer available)
10. The Muppets (November 23)
Who doesn't love THE MUPPETS?! The Muppets' movies of old are among some of my favorites, and based on the cast, 2011's looks to be no different. Jason Segal, Paul Rudd, and Amy Adams are only a few of the all-star cast that will accompany our childhood friends as they make their way back to the big screen. This movie will be out just in time for the holidays, making it the perfect film to see with both friends and family!
(no trailer available)
11. Sherlock Holmes 2 (December 16)
No absolutely nothing about this film except the release date. But, if the sequel is anything like the first, then this movie is sure to be entertaining! Plus, I have mad love for Robert Downey Jr.!
(no trailer available)
And that rounds out my list of 11 movies I want to see in 2011! What movies are you looking forward to in the new year?
~Erin
No comments:
Post a Comment