Monday, July 25, 2011

Movie Review--Captain America: The First Avenger

This summer, like most, has had its fair share of blockbusters, most notably the end of the Harry Potter series. However, I never could get into the Harry Potter books (sorry I'm not sorry that that makes me uncool) and so for better or for worse, my childhood ended with last summer's Toy Story 3 at the ripe old age of 22. I have not seen Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows...either part...and probably won't until they start airing it every weekend on ABC Family. But, I digress. Beyond the boatload of romantic comedies and dramas I have seen/want to see, the summer blockbuster I was most looking forward to was CAPTAIN AMERICA! I thought it was going to be The Green Lantern, but the trailers and bad reviews put that thought to rest. Once again, I digress.

The following things are what drew me to Captain America: The First Avenger--1) Chris Evans. Let's face it ladies, he's super easy on the eyes. 2) It's a comic movie. I don't read comics, but I tend to always enjoy the Marvel movies, with a few exceptions. 3) The cast overall--Tommy Lee Jones, the aforementioned Chris Evans, and Stanley Tucci. I trust any project with Stanley Tucci, not counting Maid in Manhattan. 4) An underdog story. I cannot help but root for the underdog, and I know that's nothing special, but it was still a reason for me nevertheless. Lastly, and most intriguing for me, the nostalgic feel to the movie. Americana at its best--the 1940s. Anyone who knows me knows that most of my favorite movies were made in the 1940s AND I am an old soul. Something about the 1940s just screams "classy."

So, with all of my preface out of the way, let's get to the review. Captain America: The First Avenger stars Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/Captain America, who up until this was arguably relatively unknown, or at least not mainstream. The movie takes place in 1942 at the height of WWII. As American men are enlisting for the war, a beyond scrawny Steve Rogers (Evans) is 4F'd until a scientist, played by Stanley Tucci, singles him out as the perfect man to be transformed by a serum and "Vita-Ray" to become a super soldier. It's not Steve's physical build that singles him out as special, but his heart, which he puts on display time and time again.

Post-experiment, Steve's scrawny build (thanks, CGI) transforms into nothing but muscle (that's pure Chris--swoon). At first, Captain America is used as a symbol to garner support for the war (not unlike Uncle Sam), but that's never what Steve wanted--he wanted to be in the fight and make a difference on the battlefield. He goes against orders from Captain Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones) and ends up saving 400 Ally soldiers--pretty much single-handedly. From that point on, Captain America is nothing but a brilliant and heroic soldier, taking on the Nazis. And, let's face it, who doesn't like to see the Nazis taken down?

Throw in a love story (which I loved--the heroine was intelligent and sassy), the great wartime nostalgia (artwork, costumes, hair, movie reels) of 1940s America, a bit of wit, and of course the awesome stunts and special effects, you have yourself an entertaining film! Although this movie is not unlike other summer blockbusters in terms of being a solid and entertaining movie, I think it is the nostalgia it oozes out of every pore that sets it apart and gives it a bit of a flare.

The truly great thing about this movie beyond the nostalgia? It's not really about the politics of war, but about the strength of America and its people--the bravery and heroism of its soldiers. It's not some political hotshot making the headlines because he is saving the world, but the little guy whose heart knows no limits. It's Captain America (who, although a "superhero," truly is an ordinary guy whose capacity for bravery is enhanced by becoming physically stronger) that saves America from doom. In the present day, it's nice to have a feel good movie where the little guy is the hero and prevails against all odds. I think the movie arguably serves as a reminder of what bravery and courage our military has shown in the past (our grandparents' generation) and continues to show today. Captain America is a celebration of patriotism and Americana--that's timeless! Sorry I could not elegantly articulate what I wanted to say on this point, so I will continue on!

If you are looking for a fun, old-fashioned, and entertaining movie, I highly recommend Captain America: The First Avenger. AND, if you do go and see it, BE SURE TO STAY AFTER THE CREDITS HAVE ROLLED--there is a teaser trailer for The Avengers. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment