I typically am not a fan of Woody Allen's work. For example, I have never made it all the way through Annie Hall (I know, such a big fan of film and I don't like Annie Hall). Admittedly, I do enjoy some of his more recent work like Match Point and Whatever Works, but really, those are the exceptions, not the rule. I think the major reason why I do not like Woody Allen movies, whether he writes/directs them and/or acts in them, is because I don't like Woody Allen. It may sound stupid, but I was ten years old when he married his adopted daughter and was left jaded. At age ten, I found that sort of thing repulsive; what can I say, my philosophy has not evolved since then. But, I digress...
So, typically staying away from Allen's films, I found myself drawn to Midnight in Paris, Allen's latest in a series of films to feature iconic European cities, because of Owen Wilson and Rachel McAdams. I figured why not give this movie a try? Owen Wilson is always charismatic and funny and Rachel McAdams is a likable personality (aside from playing Regina George in Mean Girls). So, with no notion of the film's premise other than it having to do something with Paris, off to the movies I went.
Wilson plays Gil Pender, a successful Hollywood writer who longs to be the next great American novelist. Somewhat of an idealist and a romantic, Gil is in love with Paris and the idea of writing there, even if it means giving up good money he gets for writing movie scripts and living a minimalistic life. McAdams on the other hand plays Inez, Gil's well-to-do fiancee who is not idealistic about Paris at all; for Inez, Paris is about expensive things and nice hotels. Gil cannot imagine anything more beautiful than Paris in the rain while Inez would be quick to catch a cab. Don't want to forget other problems like the pedantic Paul, played by Michael Sheen, and Inez's parents who think very little of their daughter's soon-to-be husband.
Every night while in Paris while Inez enjoys the "society" Paris has to offer, Gil wanders the streets of Paris, to take in the city and to hopefully get ideas for his novel. And boy, oh boy, does Gil get more than he bargained for when he is taken back to 1920s Paris, which happens to be his ideal time in his ideal place, at the stroke of midnight. While in 1920s Paris, Gil is surrounded by and befriends some of the most iconic artists of the 20th century, including some of the greatest American novelists to ever write. This is his opportunity to write the novel he wants to write!
Needless to say, things get complicated for Gil as he is torn between his two realities: one in 1920s Paris where he is surrounded by his idols, the other in present-day Paris with his fiancee. Will Gil's escape from his own reality into a different one give him a new perspective on life? On Paris?
Midnight in Paris is smart, funny, and charming. Owen Wilson brings his famous charm to Gil Pender, but with a touch of naive sweetness atypical to his characters in other films. For her part, Rachel McAdams played her character well; however, as a fan of McAdams, her being cast as someone who is less than simply endearing seemed a bit off. The writing is witty, the story is something fun and new, but the scenery is familiar.
I cannot say whether this will go down as one of Allen's classics since I don't usually watch his classics. It's probably nothing epic, but I was entertained. If you are looking for a movie this summer without a bunch of flash and over-the-top special effects (after all, that is the definition of a summer blockbuster, isn't it?), take a couple of hours and enjoy a Midnight in Paris.
-Erin
No comments:
Post a Comment