Thursday, March 10, 2011

Take Me Home (or to the Movies) Tonight.

My first contribution to Commercial Break! Thanks Erin and Emily for asking me to do a guest review. This is quite the privilege! You see when Erin, Emily and I all lived in the same town it was easy go to dinner and a movie on a Friday night. Now, however, inter-states, corn fields and a few major cities hinder us from casually viewing the latest chick flick or drama in the comfort of a Kerasotes Cinema.

That being said, I don’t often go to movies in the theater, anymore – it just isn’t as much fun when you don’t have 15 of your closest friends with you eating buckets of popcorn and making comments here and there. However, this past weekend I ventured out with a friend to see “Take Me Home Tonight.” (I honestly can’t ever say that title without singing the rest of the song) and I thoroughly enjoyed it!



I’d give you 80 reasons why I loved this movie since it is an 80s-esque movie, but I’ll spare you that many. Instead just three:

1) The Costumes.
Leg warmers. Skinny ties. Metallic material. Wayfarers. Bright colors. No, I’m not talking about my and most of my friends’ closets. HA! It was obvious this movie was going to have fun costumes and that is definitely one of the things that made it so great.

2) The Soundtrack.
My toes were tapping the entire movie and I wasn’t alone! My friend even leaned over to me and said, “I know what soundtrack I am going out and buying after this movie.” Let’s be real, the 80s had some great dancing jams! Don’t tell me you can stand still when “Come On Eileen” by Dexy's Midnight Runners comes on at a bar.

Music can help make or break a movie. And while this one may have had it easy because the story line revolved around a great decade, the musical directors chose a nice selection from their broad 1980s discography menu.

3) It’s "like a totally rad film."
Take Me Home Tonight is light hearted and fun. While I wasn’t sure what to expect (I feared it would be some sort of 80s spoof, which would have crushed me because I love 80s movies – Hello?! Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Molly Ringwald?) it was genuinely well made. If you need a break, a good laugh, or for some, a walk down memory lane go see "Take Me Home Tonight." Isn’t it crazy that technically this could be considered an era film?

So, those reasons seem pretty vague. But as soon as you see the movie, you’ll understand that "Take Me Home Tonight" is a story that is only good if it is staged in the 1980s.





Let My Love(LY Life) Door Open the Door [to your creative findings on the web].

No comments:

Post a Comment