After having a discussion less than twenty-four hours ago with some friends about how I find I do not get emotional at the moments when I should (i.e. graduation), I watched last night's Friday Night Lights season finale and found myself getting teary eyed. Not shocking I suppose. I have come to find that this show tugs at my heart strings like none other.
Last night's episode, entitled "Thanksgiving", finally brought closure to some storylines while managing to open up some others. However, true to form, Friday Night Lights did not disappoint.
*WARNING: There might be some spoiler alerts to follow so do not continue reading if you have not yet watched last night's season finale!
The episodes preceding last night's season finale certainly have been full of complex and compelling storylines for our beloved residents of Dillon, Texas. Vince chose to follow his heart rather than the gang which once was his life, Tami faced criticism for fulfilling her duty to a lost and confused teenager when no one else was there to help guide her, Coach Taylor had to motivate his East Dillon Lions to be better than the privileged team of kids across town, and Tim Riggins' car chopping days with his brother Billy finally caught up with him. Needless to say with all of this drama, I had a lot of questions and was anxiously awaiting the answers.
I could not have been more excited than when Julie Taylor went to ask Mrs. Saracen if she needed a ride to Thanksgiving dinner at their house and Matt was on the other side of the door. I honestly do have a spot in my heart for all of the characters in this show, but Matt especially. mHaving been absent for the latter half of season four, his return to the show not only was rewarding for me as a fan, but also opened up once again his relationship (or status of) with Julie. Rightfully so, Julie is angry with Matt: for the way he left Dillon, for the way he left her. And not surprisingly, Landry is also mad at Matt, his best friend: not one phone call while in Chicago. Simply by being there does not make the world right again for Matt as he soon finds out. Although I will not spoil the outcome of what happens between Matt and Julie and Matt and Landry, I will say someone does end up on a plane back with Matt to Chicago.
Tim and Billy still face their legal woes after having been thrown in jail for selling stolen parts of cars. When Tim Riggins cried in last week's episode, I was dumbfounded. Although Tim is more than what he seems (and he proves this time and time again), it was heartbreaking to see him cry knowing the progress he has made in his life to become a better, more respectable guy. Unfortunately for Tim (or fortunately some might say), his desire to become a more respectable guy also means he must make the tough decision: putting family first. Will putting his family, more specifically his brother and his nephew first, mean sacrificing his chance at a better life? The answer remains to be seen.
Probably the most intriguing storyline for the latter half of this season has been that of Tami and her future as principal of West Dillon. Essentially being forced to give a public apology for her actions to save her job, Tami tries but inevitably goes with her gut and says she did what was right for the student at that time and has always done what is right for the students when they have come to her with their problems. PRAISE TAMI TAYLOR! Once again, the writers of this show did not fail us: rather than taking the easy way out and doing the necessary thing to keep her job, Tami stands by her morals. Luckily for Tami, and I think the audience too, she makes a career change rather than taking administrative leave (aka administrative death). Although this particular storyline has been real, controversial, and captivating, I think the issues Tami faced as a guidance counselor were the most interesting and emotionally compelling.
Whether it was Tim Riggins vs. the Dillon Police, Vince vs. gang life, or Tami vs. the people of Dillon, last night's season finale could also have been called "The Hoosiers of Dillon". I think however given the fact this show is a drama that takes place on and off a football field, the title "The Hoosiers of Dillon" would be most appropriate because of Friday night's game. The rivalry that has been building up all season long (both the show's season and Dillon's football season) between Coach Taylor's former team, the West Dillon Panthers, and his new team, the East Dillon Lions finally comes to fruition where it matters the most--on the football field. Anyone following the show knows that it has been a struggle for the East Dillon Lions to not only become a team, but to have the proper equipment, respect of the community, etc. Having worked hard to finally become a team that can compete, the biggest game of the year is here: East versus West. Not shockingly, in last week's episode a wrench was thrown in the plan when West Dillon players ruined East Dillon's field, thus making what should have been a home game for the Lions an away game on the Panthers' perfectly manicured field. Consequently, like in the beloved movie Hoosiers, this was to be a match of David versus Goliath. There are many surprises in this game and I definitely found myself rooting for East Dillon from the comfort of my recliner. This is not a score you can get from the ESPN scroll and because I think you should watch this show, it's not a score you are going to get from me either!
To watch last night's season finale, click HERE!
Lastly...
The fate of Friday Night Lights remains to be seen. Although this episode could have been the series' last, I certainly hope not. Shows like this one do not come around too often and when they do, they aren't around long enough.
Channeling out-
Erin
No comments:
Post a Comment